Silver Taps: Adolfo Payan Jr.

Adolfo Payan Jr.

Adolfo Payan Jr., will be remembered by friends and family for his passion in all areas of life.
Adolfo came to Texas A&M from El Paso and used his love of meteorology to become a radio weather broadcaster for the department of atmospheric sciences. The affinity Adolfo held for this subject allowed him to provide weather forecasts for the local Texas communities via the KAMU and KTRL radio stations.
Those who knew Adolfo remember how willing he was to help others, and how he found joy not only in his own interests, but also in learning about the passions of his peers.
Atmospheric sciences graduate student Montana Etten-Bohm, who had the opportunity to lead one of Adolfo’s classes, said his intelligence was one of the many characteristics Adolfo will be remembered for.
“Although shy, he was a silent leader in class and was more than willing to help others that didn’t understand,” Etten-Bohm said. “Adolfo was one of the brightest students in my class, and one of the smartest I had ever taught.”
Adolfo’s gentle and friendly presence could often be found around the Oceanography and Meteorology building, where he showed an eager desire to always learn more.
“He was an excellent student and his passion for meteorology will be missed,” Etten-Bohm said.
Adolfo’s sister Mary Payan recalled how her brother was always proud of his Mexican roots.
She said someone once suggested that he sign off of his radio broadcast using a more “anglo” pronunciation of his name.
“He refused to do it and continued to pronounce it like our Mexican parents had always done, and [said] that changing it would be like being ashamed of who he was,” Mary said.
Mary said her brother was an extremely hard worker, often taking long shifts to pay for his school, rent and other expenses.
“We are very proud of everything he accomplished,” Mary said. “He was my sister’s and my best friend. We are very blessed and honored that we were able to be in his life for 22 years.”