Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Silver Taps: Britney Romero

Photo courtesy of Ivana Romero
Britney Romero Silver Taps

April 25, 2005 — October 15, 2023

Bright, radiant and unconditionally caring.
Britney always aspired to be an Aggie and was most proud to achieve her dream.
Born in San Marcos, Britney was a first-generation Mexican-American, and after she turned 1-year old, her family said they soon moved to Baytown. There, they planted their roots and welcomed Britney’s younger sister, Ivana, a few years later.
Both of her parents immigrated from Mexico in hopes of getting better opportunities for their children. While growing up in Baytown, her parents taught Britney how important learning was, Ivana said.
“My parents came here to give us the best education,” Ivana said.
At age 4, her parents enrolled her in piano lessons led by a church member. Her parents believed music gave her a strong base for an education, and Britney loved learning. Eventually, Britney taught her sister how to play piano, but Britney also played clarinet and participated in marching band until her sophomore year of high school.
Earlier this year, Britney graduated Cum Laude as a National Honor Society member from Ross S. Sterling High School. Britney was smart, hard-working and high-achieving, her sister said. Britney won 27 awards from competing in a multitude of competitions and UIL events, competing in spelling bees, dictionary skills and poetry contests.
Ivana said Britney also participated in Sterling High’s Peer Assistance and Leadership program to mentor younger students at nearby middle and elementary schools and volunteer for other community service projects.
Ivana said she believed Britney wanted to succeed and set a good example for her.
“I think she wanted me to look up to her and to know if she could do something, then I could too,” Ivana said.
Growing up, Britney would often care for Ivana when their dad would go to work.
“She knew I needed someone to take care of me when I was younger,” Ivana said.
Ivana said some of her fondest memories were when Britney would cook for her.
One day in the summer, Britney introduced Ivana to her love of makeup after letting her practice with concealer and blush. When she grows up, Ivana said she hopes to pursue beauty school to honor her sister.
“She introduced me to makeup,” Ivana said. “I always like to try to do my makeup like her because she was like a role model to me.”
When it came time for college, Ivana said Britney always wanted to attend Texas A&M and chose it over any other school. She was most excited about the type of people she would meet and the quality of education, her sister said.
“It was just a dream to be there because she worked so hard to get in there,” Ivana said.
Whenever she was choosing health as her major, Britney thought of pursuing a compassionate cause.
“She told me that she wanted to study health because she always wanted to take care of people and make them feel better,” Ivana said. “Whenever my parents were old, she could take care of them.”
After starting her first semester, Britney would call and visit home, sometimes sharing her favorite parts about A&M. Ivana said her sister enjoyed her newfound freedom, making new friends and interacting with so many nice students.
Britney forged many friendships throughout her time at A&M and closely bonded with her roommate. Although her family never met her roommate, Ivana said Britney talked about how they got along so well. Ivana said her family felt relieved to know she had a friend like her.
“It makes me feel happy because my sister had someone there to be happy with, to know that she was somewhere happy there and somewhere that she knew she could be herself over there,” Ivana said.
Ivana said many people were drawn to Britney because of her understanding personality.
“She always wanted to be a type of person that everybody could like and hang out with her easily and have her and talk to her no matter what the situation was,” Ivana said. “Because in my opinion, I think my sister was a very understanding person. And doesn’t matter whatever mood she was in, she would stay there and listen.”
While on campus, Britney was a member of the Mexican Student Association, which held a memorial in her honor on Thursday, Oct. 19. At the event, friends and peers spoke about the lasting effect she will leave on her loved ones.
Likewise, Ivana said her family and friends are grateful that so many people want to honor Britney’s memory.
“Whenever we still talk about her, they just laugh and think about all the memories that they had with my sister,” Ivana said.