Silver Taps: Hannah Michalski

Hannah+Michalski
Hannah Michalski

Known for her compassionate, gentle, animal-loving nature, Hannah Michalski found happiness in serving others — especially her four-legged friends.
Hannah’s mother, Susan Michalski, said she wants everyone to know what a wonderful person Hannah was.
“She was caring, she was considerate and she always wanted to help people,” Susan said. “And not only people but animals as well. She was smart and intelligent and just had a beautiful smile and a beautiful attitude.”
Her love for animals became her passion at a young age. As a child, she knew that becoming a veterinarian was her life goal, and she did everything possible to achieve that goal.
“She knew at age 11 that she wanted to be a vet and didn’t want harm for her animals in any way,” Susan said. “That was one of the things she very much believed in.”
Hannah went to the University of Arizona for her undergraduate education, where she began serving those in need. From veterinarian groups to mobile clinics, she took every chance to serve others. She volunteered at a pig sanctuary and horse races to take care of the animals there. She went on her first international trip to Ecuador where she was able to travel to small villages and provide assistance, Susan said.
Her father, Bruce Michalski, said Hannah always made it a point to expand her horizons. As an undergrad, she took part in a Rugby team, proving that she could push herself to new limits.
“I have just wonderful memories of a very strong-willed, strong-minded woman,” Bruce said. “She stretched herself like most people don’t. She was always interested in exploring things that matter and would try and make a difference wherever she could.”
Upon finishing her undergraduate degree, she applied to five veterinary schools, but Texas A&M was always her top choice.
“She did apply to all five different schools and she got into them, but she knew she wanted to go to A&M, and when that letter came, it was definitely a day of celebration,” Susan said.
Her love for animals united her with her dog Luna. During her time at the Crossroads Animal Clinic in Arlington, she had adopted two dogs and one cat already, but when she met Luna, she had an instant connection and knew that the dog was for her. After Hannah’s constant insistence, her parents let her keep Luna, and she became a loyal companion.
“We already had two big dogs at home and weren’t really ready to take on a third, but she was insistent that this dog was for her and they bonded immediately,” Susan said. “Luna was always at her side and always protecting her, and they were definitely a pair.”
Her father cherished the one-on-one time he spent with his daughter the most.
“I enjoyed so much doing things just her and I,” Bruce said. “We used to hike a lot in Arizona with our dogs. She would go to ball games with me, just she and I. … It was the personal one-on-ones that we would do.”
Hannah also spent her free time sampling craft beers and following small Indie bands, Susan said.
Hannah created a connection with everyone she met and took the time to get to know them. Bruce said that when people met her, they could feel her gentle, caring nature.
“When she looked into your eyes, she was looking in your soul to connect with you, always on a real level that mattered,” Bruce said. “We can’t tell you how much we miss her and how much she will be missed in the community.”

• Hannah Michalski (center) had a love for animals that inspired her to study veterinary medicine at A&M after completing her undergraduate studies at the University of Arizona.