Aggie soccer looks to shake it off against Mississippi State, Arkansas

Photo by Connor May

Junior M/D Mia Pante (13) goes for the ball after Junior M Carissa Boeckman (14) fouls Texas Southern D Akiya Saine (3) at Texas A&M’s game against Texas Southern at Ellis Field on Sunday Sept. 17, 2023. (Connor May/The Battalion)

After a brief break from conference play, Texas A&M soccer will dive into the rest of the season as it travels to Mississippi State and returns home to play Arkansas on newly-dubbed Taylor Swift Night.
Mississippi State
With the last three matchups between the Aggies and the Bulldogs resulting in an A&M loss, the Maroon and White hope to turn it around on Thursday, Sept. 21 in Starkville, Mississippi.
Mississippi State defeated A&M twice in 2022, with a 1-0 loss at Ellis Field and a 2-1 overtime loss during the SEC Tournament
Four yellow card bookings were distributed during the overtime loss. The Bulldogs did a number on the Aggies, but honestly, baby, who’s counting?
In the tournament matchup, the Aggies outshot the Bulldogs, 29-9. Only the all too well 10 minute version’s amount of shots landed on target for A&M, and just one made it in the net. With Mississippi State having a much better ratio with on-target shots of nine total and eight on goal, A&M needs to be more precise with their attempts. This ain’t a fairytale, so the Aggies need to put in the effort.
Leading the Bulldogs in goals with three on the season is junior forward Aitana Martinez-Montoya. She has racked up 21 shots, with 14 on frame and an assist this season.
Arkansas
On a five-game losing streak by the Aggies to the Razorbacks, A&M will hope to utilize new talent in its Taylor Swift-themed match night because they aren’t dead and gone and buried yet.
Arkansas and A&M combined have at least one yellow card in every game since 2017. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
Arkansas shut down A&M’s attack in the last matchup. The Razorbacks shot 17 times in their home game, but limited the Aggie offense to four shots throughout the entirety of the game.
The Razorback graduates midfielder Bea Franklin and forward Morgan White both lead the team in points with eight. Both of the forwards have four goals and one assist on the season. The leading scores have had a marvelous time ruining everything for opposing defenses.
The Razorbacks should keep in mind there is nothing Aggie soccer does better than revenge.
A&M will host Arkansas on Sunday, Sept. 24 at Ellis Field with kickoff set for 6:30 p.m., and it’s been a long time coming.