Andrew Monaco hired as new ‘Voice of the Aggies’

Photo by Provided by Texas A&M Athletics

San Antonio Spurs broadcast member Andrew Monaco will be Texas A&M’s new play-by-play radio announcer for football and men’s basketball.

Texas A&M has found its new “Voice of the Aggies.”
Learfield Sports announced Friday that Andrew Monaco will serve as A&M’s new play-by-play announcer for football and men’s basketball beginning this fall. He will also host A&M’s weekly football and men’s basketball radio shows with its respective head coaches, among other duties.
Monaco replaces Dave South, who was A&M’s lead radio announcer for over 30 years.
“I am thrilled and humbled to be to be chosen to succeed Dave South and I can only hope to honor his legacy by telling the stories and describing the accomplishments of outstanding student-athletes,” Monaco said in a statement. “Joining the Aggie and Learfield families is a tremendous honor and responsibility, and, as the father of an Aggie, I have a unique appreciation for the traditions, values, and culture of Texas A&M. I cannot wait for the first kickoff on August 30th.”
Previously, Monaco was a member of the San Antonio Spurs broadcast team for 11 years as a play-by-play announcer, studio host and sideline reporter.
“We’re excited to welcome Andrew as the “Voice of the Aggies”, said Scott Woodward, Texas A&M Director of Athletics. “Since last fall, we have conducted a comprehensive national search for a broadcaster who could bring the game to life for our listeners and viewers and who also would have a deep appreciation and feel for what Texas A&M is about. Andrew is a world-class professional with unmatched enthusiasm who understands the importance of this role to the Texas A&M legion.”
Additionally, Monaco has been a play-by-play announcer for college football, broadcasting games for the SEC, ACC and Big 12 for the likes of Fox Sports Net, CBS Sports Network, Versus/NBC Sports Network, Comcast and ESPN.
“The tradition and pageantry that surrounds Texas A&M Athletics is unrivaled, and we believe Andrew will resonate with the passionate Aggie fan base,” said Tom Boman, vice president, broadcast operations for Learfield, which manages all broadcast aspects of the Texas A&M Sports Network. “Andrew has so many wonderful attributes in addition to an incredible resume and versatile experience and we are really pleased to welcome Andrew to Learfield and to College Station.”
Monaco does have an A&M connection, as his son, Andrew Jr., is currently an industrial distribution senior.