Lawrence’s fantasy corner: Playoff time

For many fantasy owners, the playoffs have arrived. This last week and upcoming week is huge. For ESPN fantasy football owners the playoffs begin this week. For Yahoo fantasy owners, this is the final week to try and get in the playoffs. For the top four players of each league, congratulations, and for the last six, good luck in the consolation ladder.

Studs:

Cam Newton (Carolina): Newton destroyed the Saints defense on Sunday. The front runner for MVP threw for 331 yards and 5 touchdowns in a 41-38 victory over New Orleans. The dual threat quarterback also ran for 49 yards and totaled 35 fantasy points, his season high. Newton’s remaining schedule looks very favorable for fantasy owners, as he faces Atlanta twice as well as the Giants and Buccaneers. If the Panthers reach the 16-0 mark, start Newton during the final two games. He is a must start and will be crucial for players attempting to win the fantasy championship.

Marcus Mariota (Tennessee): Mariota is in the opposite boat of Newton in regards to him playing the final stretch of games. The Titans are out of playoff contention and will start him every game to try and get him more experience in the NFL with the hopes of making the playoffs next year. Mariota showed his superb athletic ability that he showcased in college during Sunday’s game against Jacksonville. The rookie scored 14 fantasy points on one play after he broke loose and ran for an 87 yard touchdown. Mariota finished the day with 35 points and peaked at the perfect time for fantasy owners. He may not win Rookie of the Year, but he will help fantasy owners make it into the playoffs.

Other Studs: Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh), Allen Robinson (Jacksonville), Blake Bortles (Jacksonville), Antonio Brown (Pittsburgh)

Adds:

C.J. Spiller (New Orleans): After Mark Ingram was ruled out for the season due to a shoulder injury, Spiller’s stock has skyrocketed. Spiller was one of the Saints’ biggest acquisitions during the offseason and was expected to possibly become the starting running back. He now will have his opportunity to shine with Drew Brees and should have a positive impact on the passing game. Spiller is a must add and is available on most waiver wires.

Shaun Draughn (San Francisco): Draughn has filled in for an injured Carlos Hyde the last four weeks and has remained consistent. Draughn has posted at least seven points in each game, and last week against Chicago, he ran for 36 yards on 13 carries. Although this statistic doesn’t sound great, he was given goal line carries, which enabled him to score a touchdown and finish the day with 14 fantasy points. A favorable matchup in week 14 against the Browns should give the running back an opportunity to be a decent flex option for owners during the fantasy playoffs.

Other Adds: James White (New England), Scott Chandler (New England), Bilal Powell (New York Jets)

Busts:

Todd Gurley (St. Louis): After lighting up the middle of the NFL season, running back Todd Gurley’s engine has cooled. In the last two weeks, Gurley has accumulated two and four points, respectively. This week against Arizona was the second week in a row where the former Georgia Bulldog was given only nine carries. Gurley finished the day with 41 yards. The trend has been that Gurley struggles when St. Louis struggles.

DeMarco Murray (Philadelphia): Last year, DeMarco Murray was in the race for MVP. This year through 12 games, the running back has only topped 100 yards twice and 80 yards three times. Murray has been a total bust and is worth benching the remainder of the season unless a miracle occurs. Chip Kelly’s offense requires a lateral runner, and Murray is primarily a downhill runner. The former Sooner reportedly talked to Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie asking for a better workload. Murray finished last week with two points against New England after running for 24 yards on 8 carries.  

Other Busts: T.Y. Hilton (Indianapolis), Giovanni Bernard (Cincinnati), Adrian Peterson (Minnesota)

Aggie Fantasy:
Ryan Tannehill (Miami): The former A&M wide receiver turned quarterback ended his three game streak of plausible numbers. Tannehill struggled against a tough Ravens defense and managed to only score eight fantasy points. Tannehill completed 9-of-19 passes for 86 yards and a touchdown. Tannehill remains a solid fantasy backup but is too inconsistent to trust in the fantasy playoffs.