Lawrence’s fantasy corner: Week six

Five teams entered Sunday undefeated and all of them came out victorious. Breakout stars from last year who started this season slowly finally rewarded owners, such as Andrew Luck and Martavis Bryant. Here are the highlights from week six of the NFL and fantasy.

Stud of the Week:

Martavis Bryant (Pittsburgh): To all owners who were patient and kept Bryant on their rosters while he was suspended, congratulations. Bryant thrived in week six after former Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones entered the game after Michael Vick left with a hamstring injury. Bryant caught two touchdowns and finished the day with 137 yards receiving on six catches. The receiver scored 25 fantasy points and torched the strong Arizona defense. As long as Landry Jones fills in at quarterback, Bryant’s value remains high, and when Ben Roethlisberger returns his numbers should increase even more. If Bryant is available to add in your league, add him as quick as possible.

Other studs: Chris Ivory (New York Jets), Philip Rivers (San Diego), Andrew Luck (Indianapolis)

Add of the week:

Brian Hoyer (Houston): Brian Hoyer doesn’t win many games, doesn’t make great decisions and can be very inaccurate with his throws. He is 1-2 as a starter this season. However, Tom Brady’s former backup has been racking up the yards and touchdowns in the last three games, as well as being named the starter by Texans head coach Bill O’ Brien. That is what is important for fantasy football. Hoyer has thrown for 837 yards, which is an average of 279 yards per game along with seven touchdowns and only one interception in his last three outings. Those numbers have enabled him to get 17, 19 and 23 points. He has awakened the monster in DeAndre Hopkins and is an excellent replacement for an injured quarterback or one in a bye week.

Other Adds: Christine Michael (Dallas), James Starks (Green Bay), Ronnie Hillman (Denver), Martavis Bryant (Pittsburgh)

Busts of the week:

Eddie Lacy (Green Bay): After tearing up fantasy leagues last year and providing championships for owners, this season has been extremely slow for the former Alabama running back. Lacy scored one fantasy point on Sunday against the Chargers after catching two passes for 17 yards. Lacy only had four carries for three yards in the game. It’s clear that he isn’t the same power back from last year due to an ankle injury he suffered in week two against Seattle. He doesn’t look explosive and has been playing second fiddle to James Starks, who has moved the ball excellently for Green Bay. The Packers are entering their bye week, so it will give Lacy two weeks to see if he can fully heal.

Arizona Defense: On paper, it was a matchup made in heaven for the Cardinals defense. The second ranked defense in fantasy points was going against a Michael Vick led offense that has struggled to put up points. The outcome was completely the opposite, as the Steelers put up 25 points and didn’t turn the ball over once and won the game 25-13. The Cardinals only scored one fantasy point but it appears to be just a hiccup, and they remain as a must start each week.

Other Busts: Antonio Brown (Pittsburgh), Jeremy Maclin (Kansas City)

Aggie Fantasy
Ryan Tannehill (Miami): The former A&M wide receiver turned quarterback didn’t accumulate the majority of his 15 points until 7:58 left in the fourth quarter. Tannehill threw for 266 yards with a pair of two touchdowns and two interceptions. The eighth overall pick in the 2012 draft still has only broken the 20 fantasy point mark once and continues to throw interceptions. The Dolphins appear to be headed in the right direction as an overall team after firing Joe Philbin and making Dan Campbell their head coach, so Tannehill’s average of 15 fantasy points per game entering week six could see an improvement.