Lawrence’s fantasy corner: Week three

Week three was full of its twists and turns in the NFL. Here’s how it shaped up in fantasy.

Studs of the week

Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay): Monday night Lambeau Field was Mr. Rodgers neighborhood as it has been practically since he was named the starter. The NFL’s best player threw for 333 yards and 5 TDs. Rodgers helped many fantasy owners to comeback victories on Monday with his 34 points. If you picked arguably the greatest quarterback of all time in the first round of your fantasy draft, then congratulations and have fun this season.

Devonta Freeman (Atlanta): No one expected this from Freeman filling in at running back for rookie Tevin Coleman after he went down last week. Freeman scored a walloping 37 fantasy points thanks to 131 rushing yards, 3 TDs and adding 52 receiving yards. When Coleman returns, the two backs should split carries, so use Freeman while you can.

Steve Smith Sr. (Baltimore): The veteran wide receiver proved two things this weekend: Age is simply a number, and height does not matter. Smith, 36, cemented himself as the Ravens number one receiver once again after catching 13 passes for 186 yards and 2 TDs on 17 targets. Usually, players in their final NFL season aren’t playing as if they’re in their prime, but not Smith, who finished with 30 fantasy points Sunday against a tough Cincinnati defense. Smith has very favorable matchups the next three weeks against the Steelers, Browns and 49ers.

A.J. Green (Cincinnati): After putting up six and 10 fantasy points in his previous two outings, Green exploded with 34 on Sunday. He scored on an 80-yard touchdown as well catching the game winner. He finished the day with 10 receptions for 227 yards and 2 TDs on 13 targets. Andy Dalton’s favorite receiver will continue to put up big numbers despite not having huge games in his first couple.

Other Studs: Cardinals defense and special teams, Cam Newton (Carolina), Julio Jones (Atlanta), Joseph Randle (Dallas), Randall Cobb (Green Bay).

Best adds

Chris Johnson (Arizona): The man who once foolishly claimed he could beat Usain Bolt in a race didn’t look foolish at all this Sunday. Johnson led the Cardinals backfield in carries with 22 and scored a pair of touchdowns. He added four more points with a 40-yard catch and run finishing the day with 27 fantasy points. As long as Andre Ellington is sidelined due to injury, Johnson remains a good RB 2 or 3.

Tyrod Taylor (Buffalo): After bouncing around as a solid backup his first few years in the league, Tyrod Taylor has found his home in Buffalo. The former Virginia Tech signal caller scored 24 fantasy points this week after throwing for 277 yards and three TDs. The dual threat quarterback faces a weak Giants defense next week and should continue his streak of good play.

Other adds: Andy Dalton (Cincinatti), Rishard Matthews (Miami), Derek Carr (Oakland), Karlos Williams (Buffalo).

Busts

Jeremy Hill (Cincinnati): A top-10 pick in most fantasy leagues, Hill has been a huge disappointment in the last two weeks. Last week he finished with -1 and this week with two points. The former LSU Tiger had 12 carries for only 21 yards. He has a favorable matchup against Kansas City next week and should see an increase in carries. After Kansas City, things don’t look bright as he faces Seattle at home and then at Buffalo.

Marshawn Lynch (Seattle): After being a game time decision this week, Lynch only carried the ball five times and ran for 14 yards. Beast mode wasn’t a beast this weekend, attaining only one fantasy point. But, he should be healthy next week in a home matchup against Detroit.

Other busts: Justin Forsett (Baltimore) Colin Kaepernick (San Francisco) C.J. Anderson (Denver) San Francisco defense and special teams.

Aggie fantasy
Ryan Tannehill (Miami): Tannehill struggled early throwing three interceptions and headed into the half down 27-0 against the Bills. In garbage time, the former Aggie quarterback was able to salvage the day for fantasy owners by scoring 15 points. Tannehill finished the game going 26-for-49 for 299 yards and two touchdowns. Tannehill faces a tough Jets defense next week and the following week is the Dolphins bye.