No. 5 A&M men’s tennis falls short to Oklahoma

Jordi+Arconada
Photo by Photo by Ana Casas

Jordi Arconada

The No. 5 Texas A&M men’s tennis team came up short against the Oklahoma Sooners Saturday at the College Match Day at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. The Aggies fell to 7-3 on the season, while the sooners approved to 9-1 this spring.

The Aggies captured the doubles point to open the day with a 1-o advantage. No 42 Patrick Kypson and Arthur Rinderknech were the first doubles tandem off the court, winning 6-4 over Aleksandre Bakshi and Jake Van Emburgh on the top court. AJ Catanzariti and Valentin Vacherot secured the point with a 6-4 win over Ferran Calvo and James Davis on court three.

The Sooners regained the lead and a 3-1 advantage by winning the first three singles matches. No. 108 Bakshi topped No.42 Kypson, 6-3, 6-3, on court one followed by Jochen Bertsch’s win over Juan Carlos Aguilar, 6-2, 6-1, on court five. Soon after that, Max Stewart came out on top over No.86 AJ Catanzariti, 6-1, 6-4, on court six.

The Aggies did not go down easily, winning the next two points to even the match at 3-3. No. 51 Jordi Arconada won  6-3, 6-3 over No. 22 Ferran Calvo followed by No. 21 Rinderknech’s  victory 6-3, 7-6 on court two over Adrian Oetzbach. With the match on the line, Van Emburgh slipped by No. 19 Vacherot 1-6, 7-6, 7-5 on court four to seal the win for the Sooners.

Texas A&M kicks off SEC action away at No. 22 Ole Miss Friday and Arkansas Sunday. The Aggies match against the Rebels takes place at 6 p.m. March 2nd followed by the sunday matchup with the Razorbacks at 1 p.m.