Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Opinion: Ben Crockett for student body president

A vote for experience and problem-solving
Curious+which+candidate+has+a+proven+track+record+of+problem-solving%3F+Opinion+editor+Ryan+Lindner+says+you+can+count+on+Crockett+when+it+comes+to+producing+tangible+changes.++%28Adriano+Espinosa%2FThe+Battalion%29+
Photo by Adriano Espinosa
Curious which candidate has a proven track record of problem-solving? Opinion editor Ryan Lindner says you can count on Crockett when it comes to producing tangible changes. (Adriano Espinosa/The Battalion)

It’s easy to claim you’re the voice of change. It’s easy to say you want to advocate for students. It’s easy to give the usual talking points about how much Texas A&M means to you and your desire to give back. 

It’s difficult to possess the tenacity to make a difference. 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with saying you want to change A&M for the better, but if you’ve been around long enough, it’s easy to see how formulaic it is. Year by year the candidates sound exactly like the ones from the year before, making the same promises and vague aspirational statements. 

So, when this year’s round of Student Government Association, or SGA, elections starts on Feb. 29, I want everyone to ask themselves this one question before voting for student body president: Who has already made the largest impact on campus? Who offers more than just SGA experience, but also tangible results benefiting students? 

If you care about the most significant issue facing students at A&M — affordability — then the obvious answer is Ben Crockett

As Vice President of Municipal Affairs for SGA’s Executive Cabinet, Crockett led the charge against the “no more than four” city ordinance that fines students for living with more than three unrelated roommates, regardless of the number of bedrooms in a home. Despite rent being higher in College Station than 89% of Texas, the city is punishing students for seeking affordable solutions, adding to the normal college financial struggles of tuition, textbooks and basic living expenses.

Not only did Crockett help compose and spread the “No More ‘No-More-Than-Four’” petition, signed by more than 1,700 residents, but he organized the student pressure campaign at City Council meetings. Finally, Crockett, along with student senator Luke Morrison, negotiated with the City Council for the creation of a High Occupancy Overlay, which created a pathway for students to live with more than four unrelated roommates.

If one of the main functions of student government is advocacy, then it seems Crockett knows a thing or two. 

For too long, the election of student body president has been little more than a glorified popularity contest. The winner is usually who can get the most Instagram story reposts or the coveted endorsement compilation video from different A&M athletes — not the candidate who would be the most effective at the job. This year, we have a chance to elect someone who has a proven record of advocacy and a policy mind that cares for real solutions to real problems. 

The question facing you, the voter, isn’t who is the nicest or most popular guy on the debate stage. It’s who is going to go all in on producing real results to better the lives of students. For Crockett, he already proved it before entering the race. With the other candidates, I can’t say half as much.

Ryan Lindner is a political science senior and opinion editor for The Battalion.  

Editor’s note: The Battalion does not endorse candidates in any SGA elections. Writers’ views are solely their own and do not represent the viewpoint of the publication.