Reviewing a month of basketball

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The men’s and women’s basketball teams began SEC play over winter break.

Over winter break Texas A&M men’s and women’s basketball teams continued it’s non-conference schedule and began SEC play. Here’s what you missed during winter break:
Aggie men’s basketball faces seven opponents over break.
Oregon State, Dec. 15, Dam City Classic
Sophomore guard TJ Starks was the lead scorer for the Aggies with 18 points. The Beavers were led by sophomore guard Ethan Thompson, who had 20 points. The game was a victory for the Aggies, with a final score of 67-64.
Valparaiso, Dec. 19, Reed Arena
The Aggies were led by senior forward Christian Mekowulu and sophomore guard Brandon Mahan, who each scored 20 points. Junior guard Bakari Evelyn was the lead scorer for the Crusaders with 10 points. This was the Aggies fourth win in a row; the final score was 71-49.
Marshall, Dec. 22, Reed Arena
A&M senior forward Christian Mekowulu and sophomore guard TJ Starks co-led the Aggies, with each posting 17 points. The Thundering Herd was led by senior guard Rondale Watson, who scored 19 points. This game marked the Aggies fifth straight victory; the final score was 92-68.
Texas Southern, Dec. 29, Reed Arena
This game against the Tigers marked the end of the Aggies’ winning streak. Texas Southern was paced by senior guard Jalyn Patterson, while A&M was led by junior guard Wendell Mitchell. While it was a hard-fought game, the Tigers ultimately won 88-73.
Arkansas, Jan. 5, Reed Arena
Sophomore guard TJ Starks was the lead scorer for the Aggies. The Razorbacks were led by junior guard Jalen Harris. It was an extremely close match throughout, but the Razorbacks were able to clinch the victory 73-71.
Kentucky, Jan. 8, Rupp Arena
The Aggies were led by sophomore guard Jay Jay Chandler, while freshman guard Tyler Herro led the way for the Wildcats. This game marked the Aggies’ third loss in row, as the Wildcats won 85-74.
Alabama, Jan. 12, Coleman Coliseum
TJ Starks gave A&M a much-needed boost with a last-second buzzer beater that brought the Aggies their first conference victory. Junior Wendell Mitchell led the scoring for A&M with 18 points. With the win, the Aggies snapped a three game losing streak, winning by a single point, 81-80.
Aggie women’s basketball goes 7-2 during winter break.
UC Riverside, Dec. 14, Maui Classic
Sophomore guard Chennedy Carter led the way for the Aggies with 26 points. The Highlanders were paced by sophomore forward Marina Ewodo, who scored 21 points. The Aggies led the entire game and won 70-63.
Oregon State, Dec. 15, Maui Classic
The Aggies won the Maui Classic with their 76-70 win against Oregon State. Once again, sophomore guard Chennedy Carter was the lead scorer for the Aggies with 27 points. The Beavers were led by freshman guard Katie McWilliams, as she scored 19 points.
University of Southern California, Dec. 19, Reed Arena
The leading scorer for the Aggies was sophomore guard Kayla Wells with 26 points, while freshman guard Desiree Caldwell led the Trojans and posted ten points. After halftime, the Aggies came back from a deficit and won 71-51.
Prairie View A&M, Dec. 23, Reed Arena
Sophomore forward N’dea Jones set the pace for the Aggies and scored 15 points. Freshman guard Dominique Newman was the lead scorer for the Panthers with 14 points. The Aggies rallied in the fourth quarter to beat the Panthers 70-57.
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Dec. 29, Reed Arena
A seventh consecutive win was earned for the Aggies when they defeated the UTRGV 84-61. Aggie sophomore guard Kayla Wells led the way with 21 points, while the lead scorer for the Vaqueros was junior guard Jameka Dowell with 14 points.
South Carolina, Jan. 3, Reed Arena
The Aggies ended their winning streak during their SEC opener. Redshirt freshman Te’a Cooper was the lead scorer for the Gamecocks, while sophomore guard Chennedy Carter led the way for the Aggies. The Gamecocks rallied and beat the Aggies 60-57.
Louisiana State University, Jan. 6, Maravich Assembly Center
The LSU Tigers beat the Aggies 63-52 after rallying in the fourth quarter. The Tigers were led by sophomore guard Khayla Pointer, while sophomore guard Chennedy Carter was the lead scorer again for the Aggies.
Vanderbilt, Jan. 10, Memorial Gym
The Aggies claimed their first SEC victory of the season when they defeated Vanderbilt 50-43. Once again, sophomore guard Chennedy Carter led the way for the Aggies, racking up 27 points. Sophomore forward Autumn Newby and redshirt junior forward Mariella Fasoula co-led Vanderbilt, with 14 points each.