The Editor-in-Chiefs of The Aggieland Yearbook, The Battalion, and Maroon Life magazine pose for a photo in The Battalion office studio on Wednesday, May 1, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
The ‘Write’ stuff: A&M Student Media announces 2024-25 leadership
Meet the new editors of The Battalion, Aggieland Yearbook, Maroon Life magazine
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • May 4, 2024
Senior Lamara Distin leaps over the during the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday, June 10, 2023 and Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Distin named SEC Outdoor Scholar-Athlete of the Year

It might be time for Lamara Distin to invest in a bigger trophy case for her living room. Texas A&M track and field’s high jump senior...

A&M welcomes 15,266 new students on campus

Photo by Melanie McBride

The Texas A&M Academic Building.

The Texas A&M Department of Student Life released August statistics for the fall semester, revealing the number of incoming freshmen and new transfer students alongside Howdy Week information.

Student orientations

Across all summer New Student Conferences from May to August, A&M welcomed over 15,000 new Aggies and their families, including:

• 12,993 incoming freshmen

• 2,273 transfer students

• 19,859 family members and guests

A&M’s summer camp orientations saw:

• 5,387 Fish Camp attendees

• 173 Transfer Camp attendees

On-campus residents

On-campus move-in began on Thursday, Aug. 17, going until Sunday, Aug. 20. Across four days, the campus welcomed 12,000 new residents into 25 on-campus residence halls and apartments.

Howdy Week

Howdy Week kicked off on Thursday, Aug. 17 and lasted until Tuesday, Aug. 22, including key events like the Ice Cream Carnival, Rec-a-Palooza, the Class of ‘27 photo and the first day of class photos. These featured events saw:

• Est. 2,500 Ice Cream Carnival attendees

• Est. 3,800 Rec-A-Palooza attendees

• Est. 8,300 Class of ‘27 photo participants

• Est. 5,000 first day of class photos taken

Corps of Cadets

The Corps of Cadets recruited its largest freshman class since 2017, with the Class of 2027 representing a 20% growth in class size compared to last year, according to Texas A&M Today. 857 cadets checked in for its Fall Orientation Week, including freshmen and A&M students transferring into the Corps.

Student organizations

The Memorial Student Center Open House occurred on Sunday, Aug. 27, with 475 out of the 1,300 registered student organizations participating.

The A&M Collegiate Panhellenic Council recruited 1,499 new members across 14 sororities, and the Interfraternity Council recruited 793 fraternity members across 18 fraternities.