Former members of the Aggie Corps march in the corps final walk in during Texas A&Ms game against South Carolina on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023 at Kyle Field (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
Corps of Cadets march-in to commemorate Texas football rivalry
The Corps march will be the first in years to occur Thanksgiving week
Fans chant “ball five” during Texas A&M’s game against Oregon at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Super Regional at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 9, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M baseball expected to hire Washington’s Jason Kelly as pitching coach
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 30, 2024

Texas A&M’s baseball coaching staff is beginning to take shape after Sunday, June 30’s hiring of Michael Earley as head coach. The Aggies...

TAMU Maroon poses with the trophy after winning the College Valorant Championship on Sunday, June 9th.
Texas A&M Esports club shines as student-run sports club
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • June 26, 2024

Texas A&M has another championship-winning sports team. Completely student-run and with over 2,900 members in their Discord server, they...

Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle reacts to a call during Texas A&M’s game against Georgia at Olsen Field on Saturday, April 27, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Satire: Meet Mr. Schlossnagle
Chendrick LamarJune 26, 2024

Dear Texas University, I’m sorry that man is your coach, let me be honest It takes a man to be a man, unfortunately, he’s a con artist I...

Photo by Katelynn Ivy
Former members of the Aggie Corps march in the Corps’ final march-in to Kyle Field during Texas A&M’s game against South Carolina on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023 at Kyle Field (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).

Editors Note: Incorrect information suggesting the march-in tradition was discontinued in 2023 was replaced with the correct details stating the tradition of marching directly into Kyle Field was discontinued in 2023. 

The Texas A&M Corps of Cadets will march on campus before the Nov. 30 Lone Star Showdown football game against the University of Texas. The November march-in, meant to “celebrate the return of the football rivalry” with Texas, will be the first in years to occur during Thanksgiving week. The tradition of marching directly into Kyle Field was discontinued in 2023, but regular marches will occur before every home game this year. 

The march will be led by the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band and begin with the Parsons Mounted Cavalry firing the Spirit of ‘02 cannon. It’s scheduled to start at the Quad, with the exact route and time set to be released later in the year. 

“The Corps is special to a lot of Aggies,” Commandant of Cadets Patrick Michaelis said to Texas A&M Today. “This rivalry is one of the most well-known in college sports. There isn’t a better way for the Corps to show its support and stand as the 12th Man than showing up in full force.” 

The event comes as A&M is looking to find ways to reignite the rivalry after over a decade of no football matches between the universities. In November 2023, the Board of Regents directed President Welsh to form an exploratory group, named the Rivalry Committee, with that purpose in mind.

“After being dormant for 12 years, I know Aggies and Longhorns all over the world are ready to rekindle the passion, camaraderie and competitive spirit that has defined this rivalry game in the past,” Welsh said in a statement last year. “It will be great to have the ‘Horns back in Aggieland next Fall. It will be even better to Saw ‘Em Off!”

The committee, chaired by Welsh and co-chaired by Vice President For Student Affairs Joe Ramirez and Regent John Bellinger, has reviewed multiple options, including celebratory events leading up to the game to “add to the camaraderie, spirit and friendly competition” of the rivalry. One option was returning Bonfire to campus, an idea spearheaded by Bellinger that was later voided after heavy criticism. 

“After careful consideration, I decided that Bonfire, both a wonderful and tragic part of Aggie history, should remain in our treasured past,” Welsh wrote in a June 4 letter

Welsh reviewed the committee’s recommendations in May and has since directed university staff to begin working on them. 

“As we look forward to football season and welcoming t.u. to the SEC this fall, we will continue to celebrate the many traditions that unite Aggies and add some new activities to help reignite a rivalry that has shaped our university in so many ways,” Welsh wrote. “I thank the committee once again for their creativity and hard work, and I can’t wait to announce the new activities this fall!”