Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

President Welsh addresses Board decision on Qatar campus closure

Admin+Building
Admin Building

On Wednesday, Feb. 21 Texas A&M University President Welsh issued a statement addressing the Board of Regents’ vote to close A&M’s Qatar campus by 2028.

In his statement, Welsh said media reports on Qatar’s campus research did not influence the Board’s decision. 

“I believe I was very clear in refuting that information when it came out, and the regents were also clear in saying that it did not have any influence on their decision,” Welsh said. 

Qatar is the only remote campus outside the United States, and the regents’ decision directs us to maintain campuses in the U.S., Welsh said. 

“This will enable us to focus on the university’s land-, sea- and space-grant mission,” Welsh said. “That doesn’t mean we’re going to move away from international collaboration or research or solving global problems. The global exchange of research and education will continue to be integral to our world-class campuses here in the U.S.” 

Welsh said A&M’s faculty, staff and students in Qatar remain a priority with a transition team being mobilized last week, which will be chaired by Vice Provost of Faculty Affairs Dr. N.K. Anand.

“This team will work with Qatar Foundation to begin the multiyear wind-down process,” Welsh said. “Beyond the formation of this team, no major programming decisions have been made and there are still many unknowns, but we are committed to minimizing disruptions for our Aggie Family in Qatar and addressing their questions and concerns in a timely manner.”