Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

All bills are created equal, no matter how odd

Sketch By Regan Brunsvold

HCR 39 (‘Steak Capitol,’ whatever that means):
This resolution, filed by J.D. Sheffield, proposes to name Hico, Texas, as the official Steak Capital of Texas. Right. In the text, Sheffield states that Hico held its 11th annual Texas State Cookoff in 2014. Because of the success of the cookoff over the last decade, the resolution states that “Hico brings together talented professional and amateur chefs in a spirited competition enjoyed by residents and tourists alike while highlighting the ongoing importance of beef to the economy and culture of the Lone Star State.” I am interested to hear what the other representatives have to say about this. Probably something along the lines of, “Just because you have a cookoff doesn’t mean you have the best steak.” Shots fired.
HB 150 (Texas secedes, kind of):
In a page-long bill, Rep. Dan Flynn proposes to exempt the state of Texas from recognizing daylight saving time. In the Uniform Time Act of 1966, there is an exemption provision for states that choose not to recognize daylight saving time. Currently, Arizona and Hawaii do not have daylight saving time. Texas actually sits in two times zones, and the bill includes both. While Flynn gives no reason as to why he filed the bill, if it is voted on and passed, Texas will no longer observe daylight saving time beginning Sept. 1, 2015. With 2/3 of the vote in each house, the new exemption will go into effect immediately.
HB 584 (State-declared national day):
I’m surprised this isn’t already a law. The bill, filed by Rep. Joe Pickett, would recognize the fourth Saturday in July as National Day of the Cowboy. Pickett states in the bill that the day would serve in “recognition of the historic, cultural and social contributions of the cowboy.” There is no reason given as to why it must be the fourth Saturday. The bill sits in the Culture, Recreation and Tourism committee.
HCR 35, 42 (People of only one hat):
These two resolutions are expected to bring about controversy. Seriously. Two concurrent resolutions have been filed, one by Rep. Marsha Farney and the other by Rep. Dwayne Bohac. The details of the bills include brief histories of the cowboy hat. Fun fact: “Broad brimmed hats with high crowns can be seen being worn by nomadic warriors like the Mongolian Horsemen as far back as the 13th century.” For Texas, the bills state the hat is a defining characteristic of Texas, whether it be “an essential piece of clothing for a cowboy on a cattle drive, a Texas Trooper on duty, or a fashion accessory that can be personalized by shape and material, the cowboy hat reflects the individualism that is so much a part of the Texan identity.” I can’t wait to see the debate over this. These concurrent resolutions are different than bills; they are not enforced the way a law is, but they do not need the signature of the governor to be approved.

• Sketch By Regan Brunsvold