Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Always keep shooting

Photo by PROVIDED

Mickey Gashaw’s father, Gashaw Gebre, presents to Mickey his Aggie Ring on November 2015.

What a ride this has been. 
It seems like yesterday when I was a young sophomore meandering around MSC Open House just as the spring 2014 semester began, simply looking to become more involved at Texas A&M. As I hopped from one booth to the next — repeatedly relinquishing my email and phone number in the process — I saw The Battalion’s booth out of the corner of my eye. 
As I approached now-Editor-in-Chief Aimée Breaux about my potential employment, I figured that my understanding of sports would be enough to carry me through and help me excel as a writer. All I had to do was mimic the writing styles of renowned sports columnists Bill Simmons and Brian Windhorst and everything else would just take care of itself. I was sure that those late nights of watching reruns of “Sportscenter” through the night when I was younger were going to carry me through.
That could not have been further from the truth.
From my first assignment of writing a baseball feature on former A&M center fielder Krey Bratsen, two things were very clear to me: There would be a steep learning curve for me and this job would not be a cakewalk. To the editors and fellow writers that I worked with through these two years, I say thank you.
The multitude of editors that I’ve had the pleasure of working with throughout these two years have made their own individual impacts on me and this paper as a whole. The friendships I’ve have made throughout my time at The Battalion with both writers and editors alike are relationships that I truly cherish.
Although my stint as co-sports editor was only for one semester, my appreciation for the editors that I worked alongside has grown tremendously. The sports staff as a whole have been great to me and I am forever thankful they let this ocean engineer who simply had a love for sports infiltrate their group. 
My job this spring has given me a greater appreciation of the hard work that quality journalism requires. Regardless of what stories have been produced the previous day, every day is a new day. There is no time to pat yourself on the back for a great story or to mope around after a mistake in print. Just like a great three-point shooter going through a slump, the remedy is always to keep shooting. 
What needs to be understood from a consumer’s standpoint is although the content is what brings them to the site or clicks the link, the byline at the top of the article is just as important. The work that writers around the country put into informing you about the news of the day shouldn’t go unnoticed.
In closing — just as both President Barack Obama and Kobe Bryant beautifully elocuted within the past month — I only have two more words to say:
Mickey, out.