Around the SEC Week 8

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

Last week’s marquee SEC game failed to entertain as No. 1 Alabama easily handled No. 9 Tennessee 49-10, but this week’s games should not see the same result. This week’s marquee SEC game is a battle of undefeated teams as No. 6 Texas A&M travels to No. 1 Alabama. There are only three Top-25 matchups in college football this weekend, and they all feature SEC West teams. Here’s a look at the other games in the SEC this weekend.
No. 17 Arkansas at No. 21 Auburn
Oct. 22, Auburn, AL — 6 p.m. CT
No. 17 Arkansas (5-2, 1-2 SEC) is coming off a nice upset win over No. 12 Ole Miss in which junior quarterback Austin Allen threw for 229 yards and three touchdowns. Arkansas needed the upset to win its first SEC game of the year after losing the first two SEC games to No. 6 Texas A&M and No. 1 Alabama. The Arkansas offense is as balanced as any in the SEC as Allen leads the conference in passing yards with 1,861. Sophomore running back Rawleigh Williams III leads the SEC with 785 rushing yards. No. 21 Auburn (4-2, 2-1 SEC) started 1-2, but has won three straight and looks to be improving as the season goes on. Like all Gus Malzahn offenses, this one is driven by the running game, similar to Arkansas. Sophomore running backs Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway have combined to rush for more than 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in just six games. Ultimately, the Arkansas offense will be too much for Carl Lawson and the Auburn defense as Auburn’s lack of a passing game will hurt the Tigers.
Prediction: Arkansas 31, Auburn 26
No. 23 Ole Miss at No. 25 LSU
Oct. 22,  Baton Rouge, LA — 8 p.m. CT
No. 23 Ole Miss (3-3, 1-2 SEC) has had a rollercoaster season already as they have three losses, but have blowout wins over Georgia and Memphis. The Ole Miss offense is led by senior quarterback Chad Kelly, who is second in the SEC with 1,849 passing yards. The Ole Miss defense isn’t as strong as it has been the past few years after losing a few players to the NFL. The LSU Tigers (4-2, 2-1 SEC) have been playing better football after head coach Les Miles was fired shortly after their loss to Auburn. Each year the LSU defense is one of the best in the nation, and this year is no different. The Tiger defense is allowing just 14 points per game, which is good for fourth in the country. LSU’s defense will be too good for Ole Miss’ one dimensional offense and it’s hard to pick against the Tigers in a night game at Death Valley.
Prediction: LSU 24, Ole Miss 20
Mississippi State at Kentucky
Oct 22, Lexington, KY — 6:30 p.m. CT
The only remaining SEC conference game will take place in Lexington this weekend as the Mississippi State Bulldogs (2-4, 1-2 SEC) hit the road to play the Kentucky Wildcats (3-3, 2-2 SEC). This is probably the least intriguing matchup in the SEC this weekend, but still has the potential to be a great game. Mississippi State has played well below expectations this year after losing quarterback Dak Prescott to the NFL. The Mississippi State offense is fairly dependent on sophomore quarterback Nick Fitzgerald, as he leads the Bulldogs in passing yards and rushing yards. Junior quarterback Stephen Johnson has taken over the reigns of the Wildcat offense and has performed poorly as of late. Kentucky’s offense is led by sophomore running back Stanley Williams and freshman running back Benjamin Snell Jr., who have combined for more than 880 yards and seven touchdowns. This one will be close until the end, but Mississippi State has the talent advantage over Kentucky and will win this one on the road.
Prediction: Mississippi State 21, Kentucky 20