Don’t fear criticism

Jacob+Martindale
Jacob Martindale
Jacob Martindale

Howdy, everyone!
My name is Jake and for the past year and a half I’ve been the lead cartoonist for The Battalion.
If you aren’t familiar with my name, you will definitely be familiar with my work! I was responsible for the re-design of Sarge, the weekly football promotional art and my Trump and Clinton caricatures.
As an ag communications and journalism major and a cadet in the band, I didn’t have a lot on my resume that would entice The Batt to take me in. All I had was my ambition and a portfolio to try and prove my “talent.”
Much to my surprise, I was hired almost immediately. After I began illustrating, I started getting university-wide recognition for my work. It was a pretty surreal experience that has almost felt like a dream.
To my knowledge, there hasn’t been a student like myself that has worked for The Battalion in quite some time. Hell, I made up my own job title. So with that and the positive feedback I’ve been getting, it makes leaving The Battalion incredibly difficult for me.
It feels like I’m letting my family down. And there’s not a whole lot I can do to fix it.
The big boss that advises The Batt, Mr. Pils, has been jokingly saying, “I sure hope you are training a replacement.”
While it’s always said in good fun, there’s a bit of a wallop that occurs when I hear those words.
I don’t want to leave.
As an artist, it’s very easy to be struck down by criticism. Whether it be your style, methods of production or just your developed product, there’s always someone’s opinion that can tear you down. I haven’t really had that here; everyone has been so supportive and loving, and I just don’t think I’ll find a network like that again.
And that’s terrifying.
As I move forward to grad school to pursue my illustration career, I carry a heavy heart that will always miss my days of being a loved and trusted member of The Batt. There won’t ever be anything like it.
If you are an aspiring cartoonist, take my advice: Reach out! Put yourself on display! Show the world what you can do. The Battalion wants you and will greet you with open arms.
Trust me.
Forever animated,
Jake
Jacob Martindale is an ag communications and journalism senior and cartoonist for The Battalion.