Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Find your place in Aggieland

Mariah Colón is a communication senior and life and arts editor for The Battalion. 

Texas A&M was not my first choice. Neither was college.
I received my “I’m going to be an Aggie” letter and shoved it in the back of my closet. The idea of going to a university of “good ol’ boys” isn’t where I thought I would ever fit in. It wasn’t until I took a chance and toured campus that I fell into a family and place that I would call home for the next three years.
As a quiet freshman, I attended transfer camp and said a combined total of three words my entire time there. Fast forward to the summer before my last semester, my third camp experience as a T-Camp counselor and I am leading yells in front of an auditorium of 300 new students. Surrounded by some of my best friends, I found my voice and love for this university. As we presented the story of the Bonfire collapse at camp, I looked up into the crowd and saw family members staring back at me. You’ll grow in this place.
I waited to apply to The Battalion until the summer of my junior year because I was unsure that journalism was the path I wanted to take. Fast forward again and I’m wrapping up after being a writer, graphic artist and editor for the paper. I’ve learned to talk to people, to tell their stories and have seen all the good this university has to offer. I’ve witnessed students come together to fight racism, rejoice over our beloved traditions and stand together to remember those we have lost. You’ll grow in this place.
To the current students reading this who still have time left take my advice: Make it count. It is very easy to fall into the routine of studying for tests and forget about the experience. This is a scenario where you get out what you put in. Life is unexpected. During your time here you’ll find yourself in awkward scenarios, stressed out with looming deadlines and unsure of what the hell is going on. But you’ll also laugh, love and make some of the best memories with lifelong friends. You’ll grow in this place.
Go to Midnight Yell, go to Silver Taps, talk to the person sitting next to you in class and share a pitcher at The Chicken — be an Aggie. Even if you don’t think you’ll fit it, give it a shot. This place is special. These people are special. The Aggie family is caring, enduring, compassionate and forever. Find your friends, your voice and your purpose. I know I have.
So to the friends — now family — that have made my time here worthwhile, thank you. This is a goodbye to Aggieland until next time, but not a goodbye to you all.
I’ll catch ya’ on the flippity flip.
Mariah Colón is a communication senior and life and arts editor for The Battalion.