Fresh faces looking to make an impact

Trayveon Williams
Photo by Texas A&M Athletics
Trayveon Williams

The A&M football team heads into Week Three of Fall Camp today and several freshmen are poised to potentially make an impact on the field this season. Here are three fresh faces that you should know when the Aggies kickoff their season against UCLA on Sept. 3:

With a handful of options at running back, Trayveon Williams is in the mix to get carries amongst the six backs seeking to start. Williams, who graduated high school a semester early and enrolled last January, had a successful spring, recording 10 carries for 27 yards and 4 catches in the Maroon & White Game. Expect the small, shifty Williams to shake up the backfield and create some diversity in the run game this Fall.

While the offensive line continues to solidify its starting unit, Colton Prater continues to make his case to start as a true freshman. Throughout Fall Camp, Prater has gotten reps with the first team at left guard and head coach Kevin Sumlin is hopeful about the Bossier City, LA native. Prater will continue to battle sophomores Keaton Sutherland and Koda Martin for a guard spot, but he may eventually get the starting nod.

The Aggies are finally satisfied with the depth and talent at linebacker, a position that has been a weak spot in the defense over the past two seasons. While the position poses experience, newcomer Tryel Dodson may find his way onto the field quickly. The young backer posted a team best 725-pound squat in the final summer lifting testing. Although Dodson may have to be slowly incorporated into the defensive scheme and rotation, it would be hard to keep one of the strongest guys on the team off the field despite his youth.

• Colton Prater

Photo by Texas A&M Athletics
  • Tyrel Dodson

Photo by Texas A&M Athletics
  • Fall Camp

Photo by Ethan Dias