Most anticipated movies premiering in 2019

Avengers+Endgame
Avengers Endgame

1. “Avengers: Endgame”
Do I even have to say it? It should certainly go without saying that part two of what may have been the biggest blockbuster event in the history of film would be right at the top of any most anticipated movies list. Following last year’s “Infinity War” and 10 years of magnificent Marvel madness, Thanos and his nemeses’ return to the big screen will undoubtedly be the cinematic and pop-cultural peak of 2019. I don’t think there’s anyone out there that’s not looking forward to this monumental film. Set to release in April, “Avengers: Endgame” earns the number one spot.
2. “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
This star-studded drama slated for July will be Quentin Tarantino’s ninth film to date. The remarkably talented director, known for his use of candid violence and creative dialogue, is one of my personal favorites, so I am eagerly awaiting what is sure to be another odd, humorous and dramatic hit.
3. “Joker”
Joaquin Phoenix. As the Joker. In a movie titled “Joker” that will be dedicated to realistically portraying the gritty details of the mysterious character’s origin. That’s all the info I need to get really hyped for this film, set to release in October. Granted, the DC cinematic universe hasn’t exactly rolled out the hits in recent years, but this movie shows real promise. Furthermore, “Joker” will launch a new universe for DC, separate from the one containing Jared Leto’s Joker and Ben Affleck’s Batman. “Joker” has me really excited. Let’s see if it can deliver.
4. “Star Wars: Episode IX”
The new Star Wars trilogy has had a controversial first two movies. Both “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi” were met with mixed reactions from fans and critics alike, especially after “Force Awakens” director J.J. Abrams was replaced for the second installment. Abrams is back in the director’s chair for this currently unnamed conclusion to the trilogy, slated for a December release.
5. “Toy Story 4”
Pixar’s first, and arguably best, film franchise will be getting another installment this June, as the “Toy Story” cast returns for another outing as everyone’s favorite talking toys. The emotional ending of “Toy Story 3” was originally supposed to be a farewell for the series, so let’s hope they had a good reason to bring the characters back from retirement.
6. “Lion King”
The original “Lion King” is an almost universally loved film. It taught kids everywhere about responsibility and loss, and how to have no worries when the going gets rough. This July, Disney will release a live-action remake of the classic movie. With Jon Favreau directing and Donald Glover cast as Simba, it will certainly be interesting to see if the live-action version can recreate the astounding success of the animated original.
7. “Captain Marvel”
March will bring yet another highly-anticipated Marvel movie to theaters. “Captain Marvel”, starring Brie Larson, will introduce another superhero to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Set in 1995, the film will feature a de-aged Samuel L. Jackson as well as other classic Marvel characters.
8. “The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part”
“The LEGO Movie” took the world by surprise in 2014 by actually being an excellent film. No one expected a movie about LEGO people to be any good, but it ended up earning the acclaim of both critics and audiences. “The Second Part” will release in February as a direct sequel to the original.
9. “Us”
The cinema scene was taken by storm in 2017 with the release of Jordan Peele’s instant hit “Get Out.” The director is back at it, releasing what may or may not be a “Get Out” sequel in March. Sequel or no, Peele proved to audiences his immense filmmaking skill with “Get Out,” and I’m excited to see “Us” just to see what he does next.