Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

One last time

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Gracie Mock will be attending Texas A&M University School of Law this fall.

There’s a last time for everything. The last time I sawed ‘em off at Kyle Field as a student, the last time I walked to an undergraduate class and now the last article I’ll write for The Battalion.
Four years ago, I walked into The Battalion newsroom and picked up an application, not realizing I would consider that place in the basement of the MSC home. It was a lot of hard work, a lot of running around to get sources, a lot of confusion as editors ripped apart what I thought was really good writing and of course, planning and communicating, doing both often. It seems like so long ago, but also just yesterday, that I started working here and I’m not sure how to sum up in just a few hundred words what it’s meant to me.
I’m not going to define my time here by the bad, by what could’ve been. I’m going to remember all the good times, the silly times, the stressed out but worth it because the paper is going to look awesome times. My time is more than just always being on the clock and willing to answer questions or give advice no matter the hour. It’s more than calling The Eagle and telling Jason we’re going to be sending pages late again.
It’s the little moments in between all that which I will remember the most. The uncontrollable laughter after someone says something worthy of the quote wall. The fake HR reports. Saying “got ‘em” probably way too many times. Crafting the perfect tweet to roast The Mugdown. Hanging out in the newsroom well past when we’re done for the night, just talking and enjoying each other’s company. Once I’ve forgotten what it was that had us so frustrated (or maybe I’m just blocking those memories), these are the things I’ll hold in my heart from my time here.
I have given so much to The Battalion and it’s has taught me so much in return. In four years I’ve learned the importance of meeting deadlines, what it means to sacrifice, what it means to be a good leader and how to deal with difficult people. These, along with so many more unmentioned, are lessons I will take with me even though I am not going into a career in journalism.
I wouldn’t be the editor or writer or leader I am today without the editors who shaped me. Jennifer Reiley and Lindsey Carnett were my first editors when I was a news reporter and taught me how to write Battalion style. John Rangel sparked my interest in science and technology. He also pushed me to be an editor. Sam King and Katy Stapp taught me what true leadership looks like and how to effectively lead a newsroom. Many more shaped me along the way, but these five deserve a special shoutout.
Thank you to Mr. Pils for always keeping your office door open anytime I needed to talk and for being a resource. We’re very lucky to have you as an advisor and I especially appreciate all you’ve done for me.
My Battalion experience would not be as great as it was without Angel, Cassie, Alexis and Taylor. These amazing women have always been there for me and were there to support me through the hard times. Thank you for the laughs, the cheese fry nights, Taco Thursdays and the movie nights. I wouldn’t be writing this without y’all. I love you guys.
My parents have always been my biggest supporters. Thank you for allowing me to pursue my dreams and come to Texas A&M, and keep going now that I’ve been accepted to the law school. I love you both.
I will forever be grateful for this organization, it made my four years at A&M incredible.
Gracie Mock is a communication senior and managing editor for The Battalion.