The Battalion editorial board endorses Joseph Benigno for student body president

Joseph+Benigno

Joseph Benigno

For his traditions-oriented platform and experience in helping lead a functional student government environment, The Battalion editorial board endorses Joseph Benigno for student body president.
Benigno sees the SBP as an advocate for the student body and its traditions. Muster and Silver Taps are the university’s finest traditions, and his platform reflects that. His aim to create an endowment to cover travel costs for families to attend loved ones’ Silver Taps ceremonies is reminiscent of John Claybrook’s 12th Can food pantry — an attainable idea to help Aggies in need.
The push to send student representatives to various Muster ceremonies around the state could, if seen through, stabilize smaller ceremonies, provide a link between current and former students and prepare the student representatives to lead and organize future ceremonies after graduation. It’s a worthy expansion to the tradition without compromising its structure.
An essential function of the SBP is to ensure the executive and legislative branches can coexist; bickering and infighting between branches stamps out any hope of meaningful impact on campus. Student Body President Kyle Kelly and Student Senate Speaker Hannah Weger have forged an understanding this year that has paved the way for the most agreeable SGA in recent memory.
Benigno has served in both branches — as a student senator and as Kelly’s executive vice president — and has the most SGA experience in the race. He knows both sides and is well positioned to further this culture shift in Koldus.
Voters should take comfort. Both Michael Murtha and Isaiah Tsau are spirited Aggies with leadership experience. Their campaigns have stirred strong ideas into the campus conversation, win or lose.
Kelly incorporated his runner-up, Kasey Kram, into his cabinet. Such a move helps bring together other bases of support and incorporate fresh ideas. We hope the winner of this race would consider emulating the idea.
Tsau’s grasp of the needs of minority student groups through his work with the Department of Multicultural Services and Asian Presidents’ Council and Murtha’s reach within groups like Fish Camp would aid Benigno’s presidency, as Benigno’s executive branch experience would aid theirs.
The Battalion editorial board is composed of Mark Dore, editor in chief, Aimee Breaux, managing editor, and Jennifer Reiley, assistant managing editor.