A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Welcome to the Opinion Section

Photo by Ishika Samant

Wondering why you should read The Battalion’s opinion page? Columnist Charis Adkins and opinion editor Ryan Lindner give you a tour of the desk and why you should stick around. You never know. You might like it here.

Welcome to The Battalion’s opinion section! On behalf of all of us here on the opinion desk, we’re excited to have you.

If you’re familiar with the opinion sections of most other newspapers, student or otherwise, then let’s just say you probably wouldn’t be here reading this. Too often, their stories range from political to political-adjacent without a unique twist or voice. The titles are long, the subjects are overdone and a brief perusal of the text itself reveals articles about as engrossing as a Tolstoy novel (sorry Russian majors.)

We here at The Battalion don’t ascribe to the media’s cherished belief that opinion articles are supposed to be bland news with a bias. You could say we’re self-aware — we know that most people aren’t interested in reading a 20-year-old’s political opinions that are no different than a typical Washington Post op-ed. Unless you happen to be a poli-sci major, of course.

So, what do we do? Well, being the opinion desk, we’re in the business of writing opinions. Any and all opinions, as relevant or irrelevant as you can imagine. Sure, we have some articles featuring politics or national headlines, but they don’t read like a standard news article. And more importantly, we know how to have fun and write things you wouldn’t expect to see in a student paper.

If you’re new to us here at The Batt opinion section, how about trying some of these articles on for size?

We also do satire!

Now, that being said, we do write about critical campus politics and controversies. For example, the April 2022 kidnapping of the Texas-shaped waffle irons from Sbisa Dining Hall.

Jokes aside, we also cover serious topics. Amidst the drama of the previous Texas legislative session, we published two pieces going head-to-head on the topic of public education and school choice. Columnist Ana Sofia Sloane dove into the issue of free speech on campus, and opinion writer Benjamin Barnes uncovered Chartwell’s monopolistic power on campus in his piece “A&M is pimping out students in plain sight.”

If you care about big national news, you could always read one of the mainstream publications with their facade of sophistication and ultra-seriousness. With us, you get something a little different — the musings of current students who drink unhealthy amounts of coffee and spend too much time in a dingy newsroom in the basement of the Memorial Student Center. But most importantly, students who love Aggieland enough to write about it every week — sometimes admittedly at the expense of our grade point average.

Basically, we concern ourselves with what concerns you, from campus squirrels to the Corps, which really aren’t that different if you stop to think about it. So, when you pick up a copy of The Batt — and you should, every Thursday — don’t flip past our opinion page. We write for you.

Charis Adkins is an English junior and opinion columnist for The Battalion.

Ryan Lindner is a political science senior and opinion editor for The Battalion.