Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Linebacker Edgerrin Cooper taken 45th overall by Packers in NFL Draft

Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion
Junior LB Edgerrin Cooper (45) celebrates after a defensive stop during Texas A&M’s football game against Alabama at Kyle Field on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Junior linebacker Edgerrin Cooper will be taking his talents to Green Bay, Wisconsin.

After a 2023 season that saw him named Defensive MVP for the Aggies, Cooper was drafted by the Green Bay Packers with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 NFL Draft.

Hailing from Covington, Louisiana, the consensus All-American finished his career in College Station with 204 tackles, eight-and-a-half sacks and two interceptions. In Cooper’s junior season, he elevated his production to another level with 83 tackles and eight sacks in his final collegiate year alone.

“I am so excited for Coop,” A&M coach Mike Elko said. “He’s a young man who came to college with unbelievable speed, twitch and athleticism, and has grown into an NFL linebacker. He’s a great blitzer who can also cover and hold up against the run and played on special teams. Green Bay is getting an outstanding young man.”

Cooper’s signature performance came in an SEC bout with Alabama at Kyle Field. The former four-star recruit tallied six tackles and three sacks to keep the Aggies close in a 26-20 loss.

Running a 4.51 second 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, Cooper clocked in as the third-fastest linebacker in the class and tied for the fastest 10-yard split for his position at 1.54 seconds.

Cooper said he models his game after San Francisco 49ers star Fred Warner, and his size and speed will bring an instant shot of athleticism to the Packers’ linebacker corps.