Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

Silver Taps: Madison Taylor Dovie Hall

Provided

Provided

June 4, 2001 — April 28, 2023

When she walked into a room, she lit it up with her personality.
Madison Hall was an inquisitive student, kind-hearted friend and valued member of her community.
Madison was known for volunteering, particularly in livestock education and showmanship. Madison’s father, Spence Hall, said when asked to help teach classes for money, Madison would do it for free. Madison also assisted special needs children by helping them compete in livestock shows.
“I’ll never forget the first time her kid won, they both cried,” Madison’s mother, Tammy, said. “She said, ‘Mom, I don’t even know why I’m crying.’ They were both so excited.”
Madison always had a passion for animals, raising goats, sheep, cattle, rabbits and pigs for Future Farmers of America and Texas 4-H. She also rescued stray cats, dogs and even a parrot. Tammy said she began to keep puppy formula in the freezer “at all times” in case Madison brought one home.
Madison’s corgi, Gus, accompanied her to College Station and was her “absolute best friend.”
“Maddie was on the floor whelping pups with me,” Spence said. “And when Gus came out, she just automatically knew that was the one she was keeping.”
Madison planned to attend Texas A&M at an early age and always considered it her “plan A.” Tammy said Madison’s love for A&M could be traced back to attending livestock judging camps and events in Aggieland.
At A&M, Madison pursued a degree in animal science, worked at the Swine Center, was heavily involved in research, the meat judging team and other extracurriculars. Madison was set to attend Tarleton to get her master’s degree after graduation.
“She had over 650 people attend her memorial,” Tammy said. “That was a testament to her personality and the kind of person she was, the many people she touched,” Spence added.
The Madison Taylor Dovie Hall ‘23 Endowed Scholarship fund has been established in her honor and will provide scholarships to students seeking an undergraduate degree in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. According to the Texas A&M Foundation, nearly $60,000 has been officially raised as of writing.
“Her classmates started out with just a thousand dollars, and it grew from there,” Tammy said.
Tammy and Spence said they were grateful for everyone who donated to the scholarship fund.
“Not only was [Madison] able to help [by teaching] and by being an organ donor, she and everyone who’s given will be able to help the school and upcoming Aggies with this scholarship,” Spence said. “She would be so proud of that.”