Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Incoming Blinn transfer recounts her Title IX experience
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Editor’s note: This article contains detailed descriptions of sexual assault that may be uncomfortable to some readers. Reader discretion is...

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Silver Taps: Madison Taylor Dovie Hall

Provided

Provided

June 4, 2001 — April 28, 2023

When she walked into a room, she lit it up with her personality.
Madison Hall was an inquisitive student, kind-hearted friend and valued member of her community.
Madison was known for volunteering, particularly in livestock education and showmanship. Madison’s father, Spence Hall, said when asked to help teach classes for money, Madison would do it for free. Madison also assisted special needs children by helping them compete in livestock shows.
“I’ll never forget the first time her kid won, they both cried,” Madison’s mother, Tammy, said. “She said, ‘Mom, I don’t even know why I’m crying.’ They were both so excited.”
Madison always had a passion for animals, raising goats, sheep, cattle, rabbits and pigs for Future Farmers of America and Texas 4-H. She also rescued stray cats, dogs and even a parrot. Tammy said she began to keep puppy formula in the freezer “at all times” in case Madison brought one home.
Madison’s corgi, Gus, accompanied her to College Station and was her “absolute best friend.”
“Maddie was on the floor whelping pups with me,” Spence said. “And when Gus came out, she just automatically knew that was the one she was keeping.”
Madison planned to attend Texas A&M at an early age and always considered it her “plan A.” Tammy said Madison’s love for A&M could be traced back to attending livestock judging camps and events in Aggieland.
At A&M, Madison pursued a degree in animal science, worked at the Swine Center, was heavily involved in research, the meat judging team and other extracurriculars. Madison was set to attend Tarleton to get her master’s degree after graduation.
“She had over 650 people attend her memorial,” Tammy said. “That was a testament to her personality and the kind of person she was, the many people she touched,” Spence added.
The Madison Taylor Dovie Hall ‘23 Endowed Scholarship fund has been established in her honor and will provide scholarships to students seeking an undergraduate degree in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. According to the Texas A&M Foundation, nearly $60,000 has been officially raised as of writing.
“Her classmates started out with just a thousand dollars, and it grew from there,” Tammy said.
Tammy and Spence said they were grateful for everyone who donated to the scholarship fund.
“Not only was [Madison] able to help [by teaching] and by being an organ donor, she and everyone who’s given will be able to help the school and upcoming Aggies with this scholarship,” Spence said. “She would be so proud of that.”