55 on-campus construction workers test positive for COVID-19

Photo by Megan Cusick

Construction workers on Texas A&M’s campus have tested positive for coronavirus.

This morning, Hoar Construction, a company employed by Texas A&M for construction on campus, confirmed that 55 out of 153 workers have tested positive for COVID-19, according to an article by KBTX.
The article states that all workers on-site were temporarily suspended from work and tested for the virus. Only 6 of the 55 positive cases exhibited symptoms of the virus.
According to Randall Curtis, chief operating officer at Hoar, none of the employees have been in contact with students or faculty while working. Since day one of construction, employees have been screened for signs of COVID-19 before returning to work, said Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications Kelly Brown
“The construction site at Dunn Hall is controlled with only Hoar employees having access,” Brown said. “We were pleased to learn that temperature checks are currently being performed for all workers as they arrive on site.”
This is a developing story and will be updated as we receive additional information.
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story stated that a COVID-19 screening for construction workers has begun recently, but these screenings have been in place since day one of construction. The Battalion regrets this error and the quote from Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications Kelly Brown has been edited for clarity.