A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

Annual film event finds temporary home at Olsen

For the last three years, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee has provided an opportunity for students and student athletes to interact with Film on the Field, traditionally held on Kyle Field. SAAC was forced to relocate the event due to Kyle Field renovations, and Movie at the Mound was born.
Matthew Hightower, junior agricultural leadership and development major and SAAC fundraising chair, said moving the event was not as difficult as originally expected.
“The move from the football field to Olsen was a big one, but it wasn’t that bad for our planning process – it has actually been relatively easy,” Hightower said. “People are attracted to the new ball park, and not to mention the new score board, which is beautiful by the way, is going to be great to play the movie on. We’re doing a good job promoting the event at the new venue and I think it’s going to be extremely successful, if not more successful than it has in the past at Kyle Field.”
Janell Lysack, senior sport management major and president of SAAC, said in some ways the move to Olsen has made the setup process easier.
“I think it’s cool to change up the venue and it’s neat to be at another big arena of Aggie athletics,” Lysack said. “We saw it as a problem at first, but it’s taken a lot of stress off our seniors and athletes who are in season during the spring.”
Kelly Czumble, senior marketing major and marketing chair of SAAC, said volunteering gives student athletes and the student body a chance to meet on a common ground.
“As athletes, we want to know what’s going on with all the students on campus and want to be a part of that too,” Czumble said. “These kinds of events help us bridge that gap and we love meeting new people.”
Heather Sterling, vice president of Aggie Athletes Involved, said the event drew in about 500 guests last year and the attendance has grown with each following year. Sterling said the experience is phenomenal, and the event being timed for the night of the Alabama game will hopefully draw an even larger crowd than in previous years.
“Since moving to the baseball field, we’re trying to play off of the Alabama game, and are hoping for equal if not more attendance,” Lysack said. “We have a few factors playing against us, the women’s Final Four, but that’s the only factor going against us due to our fans being dedicated to other sports.”
This year’s movie is “The Rookie,” and it will begin around 4:30 p.m Sunday. Admission is free.