Stand for those who stand no more

Photo by File

“Silver Taps” is played on the trumpet in order to commemorate the lives of fallen students

An open letter to the Aggie family,
I would like to wholeheartedly thank all those who came to the Silver Taps on Feb. 2. Your selflessness to attend was truly something special to the families of the fallen Aggies we honored that night.
Unfortunately, we again must perform this incredible act of solidarity tonight, and while the Aggie Family turnout for February was amazing, it was not enough. Attendance at Silver Taps is traditionally strong in September because of Fish Camp and the beginning of the academic year. Slowly but surely, however, the numbers dwindle to mainly the Corps and the few truly dedicated Aggies. We owe it to our brothers’ and sisters’ families to be standing there when we tell them that we cared about them.
I understand that there is not always a self-fulfilling or magical feeling you get when you attend Silver Taps, and I also understand that there is never a convenient time to come to Academic Plaza and stand still for roughly 45 minutes late at night. Please know I sympathize with our busy student body who have tests the day after, a group project, or a long strand of sleep-deprived nights.  
Silver Taps is one of the special traditions that makes Aggieland irreplaceable and is one that is unique only to A&M. To simply be in attendance is the most important act you could do for those families, even if you were to write them the most moving letter expressing your grief. Actions speak louder than words. It is a truly powerful sight to see all of those caring Aggies wrap the families of our fallen brothers and sisters in a large, loving embrace. For there to be no room on the grass in front of the Academic Building and Sully, displays what it really means to be an Aggie and exemplifies the humble and loving nature of the Aggie spirit.
I know not everyone can attend the ceremony. I know you have to stand uncomfortably close to people you don’t know. I know it seems like it takes a long time. And I know that you are extremely busy. But please, I ask that you put aside 30 to 45 minutes to selflessly sacrifice that time for the families of our fallen Aggies by showing up at Academic Plaza tonight. The ceremony starts right at 10:30 p.m. and lasts about 30 minutes.
In the past, the area between Nagle and Bolton Halls and the YMCA Building to the Academic Building was full of Aggies who showed up to honor those at Silver Taps. We had fewer students back then as well.
All I ask for is simply your presence out on the plaza tonight. That is all you have to do. That alone is a wonderful act of compassion, selflessness, and devotion.
Respectfully at your service,
Firing Squad Commander ’16

Ross Volunteer Company

Editor’s note: In the spirit of selfless service, it is the Ross Volunteer Company’s policy to not publicise the names of officers.