Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

A&M defense smothers Eagles in 84-32 drubbing of Winthrop

Photo by Jaime Rowe

Graduate G Endyia Rogers (1) keeps her eyes up during Texas A&M’s women’s basketball game against HCU on Nov. 20, 2023 at Reed Arena.

Four days after setting a record by holding Houston Christian to the fewest points an opponent has scored against Texas A&M women’s basketball in coach Joni Taylor’s tenure, A&M bettered its performance in a 84-32 drubbing of Winthrop in the opening round of the Raising the B.A.R. invitational in Berkeley, California on Friday, Nov. 24.
A&M’s stellar defensive showing manifested itself into 19 Winthrop turnovers — including three steals each by sophomore forward Janiah Barker and graduate guard Endyia Rogers, which in turn led to a whopping 30 points off turnovers for the Aggies.
Things were just as good for A&M on the glass: Barker and junior forward Lauren Ware each had a double-double in the contest — Barker’s third straight and Ware’s third this season — as A&M out-rebounded the Eagles 51-37 and had 16 second-chance points compared to Winthrop’s 4.
But it was Winthrop’s shooting woes that sealed its fate. A&M started the game on a 27-2 run after the Eagles shot 1-of-18 from the field in the first quarter and took over 8 minutes to find the net for the first time. The Eagles finished the night shooting 23% from the field and 0-of-15 from behind the arc.
Winthrop didn’t fold completely, holding A&M to a 14-8 scoring advantage in the second quarter, and keeping the Aggies off the scoreboard in the last 3 minutes of the first half. But the initial hole was too deep for the Eagles to claw themselves out of, especially considering A&M’s own shooting performance.
The Aggies outscored Winthrop 47-22 in the second half, and Rogers’ four made 3s led an A&M perimeter attack that finished the night with eight 3-pointers — the most the Aggies have hit this year. She led all scorers with 16 points and was one of four Aggies in double figures.
Ware, on the other hand, led the interior charge. The transfer from Arizona’s 13 points ranked second on the team as A&M earned exactly half of its points in the paint.
The one area of improvement Taylor will likely make sure the Aggies focus on in the tournament is free throw shooting: A&M finished 8-of-22 from the charity stripe, although it didn’t play much of a role in the outcome of the 52-point victory.
A&M will face host California in the Invitational championship game Saturday, Nov. 25, at 4:30 p.m.