Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp speaks to President Mark A. Welsh III during a Board of Regents meeting appointing Welsh as President of Texas A&M University on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M System Chancellor John Sharp announces retirement
Sharp to stay in position until June 30, 2025
Fans chant “ball five” during Texas A&M’s game against Oregon at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Super Regional at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 9, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M baseball expected to hire Washington’s Jason Kelly as pitching coach
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 30, 2024

Texas A&M’s baseball coaching staff is beginning to take shape after Sunday, June 30’s hiring of Michael Earley as head coach. The Aggies...

TAMU Maroon poses with the trophy after winning the College Valorant Championship on Sunday, June 9th.
Texas A&M Esports club shines as student-run sports club
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • June 26, 2024

Texas A&M has another championship-winning sports team. Completely student-run and with over 2,900 members in their Discord server, they...

Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle reacts to a call during Texas A&M’s game against Georgia at Olsen Field on Saturday, April 27, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Satire: Meet Mr. Schlossnagle
Chendrick LamarJune 26, 2024

Dear Texas University, I’m sorry that man is your coach, let me be honest It takes a man to be a man, unfortunately, he’s a con artist I...

Softball sets sights on Kentucky

Photo by Photo by Joshua Sozio

Sophomore Pitcher/Outfielder Makinzy Herzog swings in the first inning against the UTA Mavericks.

The Texas A&M softball team is set to host No. 17 Kentucky for the final home series of the season this weekend. Game 1 is scheduled for Friday, March 30, with the first pitch at 6 p.m. at Davis Diamond.
The Aggies are currently sitting at 31-14, 8-10 in conference while the Wildcats are 32-12 overall, 7-11 in SEC play.
A&M went 1-2 last year in their most recent series against the Wildcats. The Aggies dropped the opening and final game of the three-game series but came away with a 6-3 victory in Game 2.
The maroon and white are coming off a road-game series against Mississippi State in which the Aggies went 2-1 on the weekend. Mississippi State’s 8-1 win over A&M in Game 2 marked the Bulldogs’ first conference win of the season.
In the Aggies’ most recent game, an 8-1 series finale win over Mississippi State, junior Makinzy Herzog recorded her 11th home run of the season while junior Haley Lee recorded her 20th and 21st. Lee has contributed 21 of the Aggies’ 62 home runs of the season and is currently tied for second in the NCAA for home runs this season.
Other offensive highlights included sophomore Shaylee Ackerman’s 37th RBI of the season.
On the mound, Herzog recorded six strikeouts on the night while holding the Bulldogs to just three hits. This win marked the junior utility player’s 12th complete game of the season and 11th win of the season while in the circle.
The Aggies will face Kentucky for a three-game series beginning Friday, April 30, at 6 p.m. Games 2 and 3 will follow on Saturday and Sunday. This series will conclude regular-season conference play at Davis Diamond.